Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I'm up to 10,000 words in Novel Z!  I've made a goal of writing 250 words a day in it.  I usually end up writing 600 in my Tuesday writing group, a couple hundred during the week, and the remaining 800-900 on Saturday.  But I am averaging 250 words or more a day, so whatever.  Working towards a deadline gets me into gear and keeps me focused, so it's nice to have a mentor that I e-mail every Sunday with my weekly word count. 

I'm also doing well with keeping up a regular practice of writing in a composition book.  I manage to fill one notebook every two months.

My other goal - Novel N - isn't going so well.  It's low-priority, and I treat it like low-priority.  I never work on it.  Which is not so bad--I am working on my high-priority novel--but I only have one chapter left and I feel bad that it's just sitting there, in an almost-finished state.  I need to set aside some time to write that final chapter and be done with it.  I think I feel a sense of accomplishment, even though it was more of a "learning" novel and "fun" novel than something I was doing as a career endeavor.  In many ways, Novel N was my bridge from amateur writer to professional writer.   It was my writing school.  I learned so, so much from writing that novel.  And I want it to be an accomplishment I look fondly on, not "that thing I need to finish."  I need to find time for it without setting aside my other writing tasks.  It's probably a matter of  better time management. 

No comments:

Post a Comment