Saturday, April 17, 2010

7 handwritten pages tonight.  Made some progress on next chapter of Project N.  Took some journaling time to hash out what keeps me motivated when it comes to writing, editing, and receiving critiques.  Decided I need to focus on three things:

 1) How it's an opportunity for self-growth
 2) How it's an opportunity to learn
 3) How it's an opportunity to help other people

When I feel I'm doing one of the above three, then I can stay motivated.  When I feel like I'm doing something "because it needs to be done," my motivation shrivels up and dies.  Which is why all those highly-motivated, non-procrastinating, "just do it" types never have any good advice for me.  Saying "just do it" is so unmotivating to me, it's nearly a soporific. 

I'm going to try to keep this in mind.  Even though I started late, I wrote until 10pm with the awareness that I was building my writing habit by keeping at it until 10pm, regardless of the quality of what I wrote.  So I ended at 10 feeling good about myself, rather than feeling critical that I didn't write more/write better.  The point was self-growth, and by sticking to my writing habit, I grew as a writer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment